"Ipaglaban mo nang puspusan ang pananampalataya. Panghawakan mong mabuti ang buhay na walang hanggan, dahil diyan ka tinawag ng Diyos nang ipahayag mo sa harap ng maraming saksi ang iyong pananalig kay Cristo." I Tim. 6:12

August 20, 2012

Former Aglipayan Priest


My Last Days towards Enlightenment


My name is Perpetuo Valerde and l come from the locale of Bucal, Cavite. I was an Aglipayan Priest for twenty six years. At the age of fifty seven, i am now secure of my enlightenment and of tracing the right path which i would like to relate to you, as well as my experiences during my childhood, priesthood, and my having been into this Church.

My father is Tiburcio Valverde, also an Aglipayan Priest for forty years and my mother is Josefa Blanco, from Botolan, Zambales. In an old big house in front of the Aglipayan Church in Binakayan, Kawit, Cavite, I was born on the 4th of August, 1925.

I grew up assisting my father in administering masses. I used to sing during the mass, ring the bells for which i received one centavo after pulling the ropes. I remember it was not easy to pull the ropes to ring the bells, for each ceremony required a different mode of bell-ringing. Thus, there was an unusual rhythm for a funeral mass, another distinct measure for marriage ceremony and another for baptism. My fees appeared insufficient so my father just trained me as his altar boy wherever he was assigned by the Superior Priests.

From Grades 1-4, I studied in Binakayan Barrio School, and in Aguinaldo Elementary School at Grades 5-7. My first year in the secondary level was in Imus Institute, and I transferred to Iba (Zambales) High School when my father was reassigned to Amongan, Iba in that province.

I was seventeed years old when the Second World War broke out. As a guerilla intelligence officer, I transmitted informations from the Japanese garrisons to my comrades, my co guerilla officers. in the mountains.

In 1945, my father got sick, and he died an active priest on July 24, 1946. Just a couple of months later, my mother also succumbed to her death. One advice of my father always struck my mind then. He always discouraged me to follow his footsteps, refraining me to join the priesthood. But, thinking that it would bring me nearer to the Lord, I disregarded my father's discouragement. Thus, in late 1946, under the Philippine Aglipayan Church's supreme Bishop Isabelo delos Reyes, I acquired my special tutelage. (He personally taught me, being a son of a priest, the ministerial doctrines of the church administration). I lived with him during my entire schooling.

In December that year, Bishop Segundo Gatdula, pleaded Supreme Bishop Delos Reyes for an assistant in administering the diocese. Although I was trained for only a month, I was appointed as his co-priest. Lately, I learned that the bishop only wanted to escape from displaying his robe in leading funerals in the streets.

Maragondon, Cavite was my first assignment (December 1946), as assistant priest to Bishop Gatdula. This was the first time I wrote a robe, as my father did. Until 1949, i assisted my superior priest in the benediction of the dead and in officiating mass and baptism, on my belief that it was righteous service towards salvation. Aside from Maragondon, Ternate was also added to my jurisdiction.

Before the year ended, I was ordered to proceed to Amongan, Iba, Zambales, as the local parish priest. The place was memorable to me because my father died a priest in Amongan. I administered the church in that locality for four years.

In 1954, I went back as ordered to Maragondon diocese as the assigned priest up to 1957. As the parish priest, i applied all the methods I learned to mingle with small people belittled by the society. I preached and went along with the outlaws and most wanted persons, bringing them to my church's way of life, all of which I thought would deliver me to God's place someday.

For the first time in the history of Aglipay Church, I did a very serious deviation from its practices. I permitted the burial of a non Alipayan at the Aglipayan cemetery without the benifit of my benediction inside the church. This resulted in my superior's disappointment. I was suspended for that reason for eight years (1957-1965). Hence, I was forced to work at the farm to earn our daily living. I made up my mind that I wouldnt ask for any assistance from the superior Bishops.

In 1960, I met Concepcion Andaya, who later on became my wife. Three years later, my first child was born. She was named Gloria, meaning a glory to God, for he gave us a healthy child. In 1966, Supreme Bishop De los Reyes recalled me on duty. I was sent to Atimonan, Quezon for more than two months. Later on, he sent me to Cavite (1970-1972) as an assistant priest. Then, Sto. Nino Marikina, Rizal as an assistant priest to Bishop Gregorio Delos Reyes. In 1973-1976, I was assigned at Pila, Laguna, where i was instrumental in the reactivation of the Cursillo movement.

Before 1976 ended, a ray of life came to my life. I met Bro. Roberto Bumagat, a deacon in the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) from San Pablo City who was reconstructing and repainting a house near our church. He invited me to the Church's pamamahayag (Bible Exposition) at the Pila House of Worship. I accepted the courteous invitation, but it was a certain Bro. Eusebio, also a deacon of Pila, who continuously accompanied me to finish the weeklong Pamamahayag. Bro. Eusebio lived near house.

At the start of 1977, I became so sick and was eventually relieved from service to rest. I went home to Bucal, Maragondon Cavite, lived there with the family, for my wife hailed from this barrio. My heart swayed back to Aglipayan activities once again. Despite my being so ill, I still could manage to support the church. This, I thought, was my first test.

In May 1979, I was again invited by a Church of Christ member, Bro. Bienvenito Itoc, head deacon of Mabacao, Maragondon, Cavite to attend Pamamahayag officiated by Bro. Jose Crisostomo, the minister assigned at Naic, Cavite. I be tracing the light which once awakened me.

What impressed me during this exposition was the manner in which the preacher delivered his sermon. Everything he said was based on the bible. The next nights were surely my way to enlightenment. I was clarified then that not all preachers are of God, that there's only one true church in the world today and the true God is the Father.

May 22, 1979 vividly remarked my having been called. Being enlightened during the preceeding nights, I believed that I was being brought to the righteous service. On this day, Bro. Esteban Angon, head deacon of Bucal, visited my place and introduced to me Bro. Rodante Elevado, the newly assigned evangelical worker of Bucal. My formal instruction in God's true words was begun.

My enlightenment continued little by little. I realized that a real preacher must be commissioned by God and that there's only one true Church as Matthew recorded; this is Christ's Church (Mt. 16:18). This Church is called by the Apostles as "Church of Christ" (Rom. 16:16). I also learned that God is not composed of three divine persons, and that Jesus who is his son, is a man and not God.

Not a few persecutions and tests have I met from my loved ones, including my wife and my daughter. They discouraged me to continue my attendance at the bible study and at the Sunday and Thursday worship services. The Church worker, however, enlightened me that to be a true disciple of our Lord, one should endure all those that I was experiencing. On June 30, God permitted me to be baptized in Naic, Cavite.

Let me note that today, I am an old and sick man. Yet, I firmly believe that God called me to join his fold as a chosen son in these last days before i am finally laid to eternal rest. One of these days, Im sure I will die, but im happy. My last breath will be a beautiful last breath because I am sure of my fate.

I pray to our Lord that my beloved wife Concepcion and daughter Gloria may be enlightened as I have been. I wish to extend my thanks to all who were instrumental in my conversion. And to the Lord, Praise him for everything!

source: Pasugo Issue March-April 1982



No comments:

Post a Comment

RULES ARE STRICTLY BEING IMPLEMENTED.
COMMENTS THAT VIOLATE RULES ARE DELETED.

1. Comments should be related to the topic posted
2. No flooding
3. No cursing and name calling (kultoliko, ADDict, Iglesia ni Manalo, etc)
4. No posting of any kind of advertisement/promotion
5. No debates/arguments

You can ask, suggest, answer or react to an article. Discussion or sharing of knowledge is appreciated, not to be confused with debates/arguments.