"Ipaglaban mo nang puspusan ang pananampalataya. Panghawakan mong mabuti ang buhay na walang hanggan, dahil diyan ka tinawag ng Diyos nang ipahayag mo sa harap ng maraming saksi ang iyong pananalig kay Cristo." I Tim. 6:12

June 18, 2010

Converts: A kind of solution behind persecutions




The author mentioned this:

“Before attending the worship service, I would leave the house wearing casual clothes, but would change into proper attire inside my car.”

This scene was from, I think happened in the past and still happening in these times. Even before an interested listener who wants to join the Church of Christ or new members encounters persecution especially from their loved ones, goes a solution like this for them to go attend worship services of the INC. They make a way for them to continue their membership in the church even though the people around them (family, relatives, friends and etc.) hinder and persecute in doing what they want in achieving salvation…

I salute those who discovered the truth that they fight and stand for it, in their membership or in joining the true Church of Christ.



the author (center) with her family

I found peace with God
Veronica Ortega

I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii on Jan. 8, 1960. I grew up in the Kalihi Valley of Oahu with my Portuguese mother, my Hawaiian Portuguese father, an older brother, and a younger sister.
Before I joined the Church of Christ, I was a devout Catholic. I served as a lector assisting the priest. I was a religious education teacher for pre-schoolers and kindergartens and I was even a Eucharistic minister for the sick. Yet, in spite of all my activeness, I felt an emptiness inside and still found myself longing for true and meaningful relationship with God.

Then, in 1992, I was introduced to Sister Esteher de la cruz, a member of the Church of Christ. She frequently invited me to bible studies, but I always refused. She was, however, persistent and she showed me some verses in the bible that were inspiring.

My eyes began to open, particularly with the verses that warned against worshiping idols. It dawned on me that the Catholic church uses idols, images, and statues in its services. From there, I began to wonder whether or not the Catholic Church was indeed the true church.

I decided to search for the truth, and with the guidance of Sister Esther, I continued my bible lessons with the Church of Christ and attended worship services. During this time, however, I suddenly encountered persecutions from my father, who is a devout Catholic.

Before attending the worship service, I would leave the house wearing casual clothes, but would change into proper attire inside my car. When my father discovered what I was doing, he asked me to move out. Yet, even that did not stop me from attending the worship services and finishing my lessons in biblical doctrines. Finally, in October 1993, I was baptized in the local congregation of Waipahu and at last, I found peace with God!
Several years later, a deaconess from the local congregation of Honolulu, inspired me to become an officer in the Church of Christ. I felt God calling me to become a deaconess. I was also hoping that God would call my husband to become a deacon. He accepted and we both performed as deacon and deaconess in the local congregation of New Era. We have two children and live a happy and meaningful life. We are currently registered in the local congregation of Seattle, Washington in the ecclesiastical district of Pacific Northwest.
In May 2005, I had the opportunity to travel with my family to the Philippines. While visiting a town in Ilocos Norte, I got to know some of the villagers. Because of my desire to share my faith wherever I am, I spoke to a minister from the nearby local congregation of Lanao, Bangui and we were able to hold a Bible study in that area. Even though Im no longer there, I hope and pray for the success of that work.

Although my father is still a devout Catholic, he has stopped persecuting me after seeing the positive changes of my life. Now, he even encourages me to bring my sister, who is not a member, to Church of Christ activities so she can too have positive experiences. It is my goal someday to bring all my loved ones into the fold and bear more fruits. I am thankful to our Almighty God for showing me the way to the Church of Christ.

Pasugo March 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment

RULES ARE STRICTLY BEING IMPLEMENTED.
COMMENTS THAT VIOLATE RULES ARE DELETED.

1. Comments should be related to the topic posted
2. No flooding
3. No cursing and name calling (kultoliko, ADDict, Iglesia ni Manalo, etc)
4. No posting of any kind of advertisement/promotion
5. No debates/arguments

You can ask, suggest, answer or react to an article. Discussion or sharing of knowledge is appreciated, not to be confused with debates/arguments.